Weekend Mass Times
Saturdays at 4:00 pm
Sundays at 11:00 am
Sundays at 8:45 am
Our Lady of Peace Parish: Est. September 1, 2018
The current Fredericton region has been served by Catholic missionaries since 1611 with the arrival of the Recollect and Jesuits. In 1691, with construction of Fort Nashwaak, a small chapel was placed in the commander's lodgings. By 1758, the French inhabitants had left the Fort and Catholics would travel miles to French Village for Sunday Mass. By 1783, restrictions surrounding Catholics owning land and priests residing in the province were lifted.
In 1824, land on Fredericton's southside was purchased, three years later Fr. Michael McSweeney built a chapel on this land (St. Dunstan's Parish). In 1887, the people of the northside of Fredericton, Maugerville and Stanley areas began the work erecting St. Mary's church and rectory, followed by missionary churches. Land for a cemetery was also purchased.
By 1906, the growing congregation with Fr. John J. Ryan built a larger church (St. Anthony's), serving missionary churches in Maugerville, Kingsley, Stanely and Tay Creek. Over the years the congregation continued growing and various groups were formed to meet the changing needs. In 1961, two more churches were added to the northside: St. Theresa's and Our Lady of Fatima.
With changing demographics, in 2016 Bishop Robert Harris began a process of realignment and revitalization within the Diocese of Saint John. In 2018, it was announced that St. Anthony's, St. Theresa's and St. Patrick's (Stanley) would be realigned into one new parish, Our Lady of Peace Parish.